When my husband and I got married we decided to go on our honeymoon to Cancun. We were so excited to go stay in an all exclusive resort that had all this amazing food included in the price. In fact, I was so excited for the food that I became a tiny bit worried about putting on some pounds that week we were there (mostly because I had just lost some for my wedding and didn’t want to get them back). Well we got to the resort and that night went to our first dinner so so excited. AND we were totally disappointed. What the heck? I thought I was going to be getting 5 star quality food. We thought maybe just that one restaurant was a bust and the others would be better. NOPE. We seriously did not like any of the food. That makes us sound super picky, but I could not gag down any of the meat they had and found myself loading up on any bread or cereal I could find. With that being said I had to find a way to enjoy the food somewhat while we were there and that’s when I became dependent on the Pina Coladas (Virgin style). I probably drank at least 5 a day. A few pool side, one at lunch and one at dinner, and then again at night for my dessert. I became obsessed and to this day it is one of my favorite memories of that resort.
Well with my whole sob story about my honeymoon, I decided to bring my favorite drink in a delicious cupcake. Pina Colada cupcakes. MMM. I don’t know if you have ever tried coconut extract in your cupcakes or cookies before, but it is one of my most favorite flavors. Seriously it makes frosting so divine. I knew these cupcakes would turn out delicious because of that main ingredient. Well let me tell you, these Pina Colada cupcakes ended up being the tastiest and softest cupcakes I’ve ever had. My whole family was raving about how much they loved them. I was super happy that they were a success and will definitely be making these time and time again.
These pina colada cupcakes would be perfect for any birthday party, Luau, family gathering, or for an after school treat. (If you believe in giving kids sugar right after school) 🙂
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 1 8 oz can crushed pineapple drained
- ¾ cup shredded coconut flakes
- 1 8 oz block cream cheese
- ½ cup softened butter (Not melted)
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp coconut extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Line your cupcake pan with cupcake liners
- In a medium size bowl mix together the cake mix, eggs, buttermilk and sour cream.
- Add in the pineapple and coconut flakes and blend all together
- Fill each cupcake liner ¾ of the way full
- Put in the oven for 17 minutes
- Pull out of the oven and let cool before frosting
- In a separate bowl mix the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, almond and coconut extracts together until nice a smooth.
- Add in the powdered sugar 2 cups at a time and cream together the frosting til you have added all the powdered sugar.
- Frost the cupcakes however you like and top with some shredded coconut flakes
- Optional: Add a maraschino cherry and pineapple chunk to the top to make them prettier 🙂