There is one thing I found that I could never do in the fall, and that is try to not eat sweets! With fall comes so many delicious recipes using apples and pumpkins, two of my favorite things. I absolutely love this Apple Walnut Cake and I would definitely fall short of having any type of self control when presented with this cake.
I love that this time of year there are so many delicious apples to choose from. For eating just plain I love the honey crisp apples. They cost a little more but they are well worth it. However when making a cooked dish a little tarter tasting apple is better. Granny Smith apples work good.
What makes this Apple Walnut Cake so delicious is the butter sauce that you drizzle on top. Like I said, there is no way I could turn down a piece of this delicious cake. It is well worth it!
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 cups peeled chopped apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Butter Sauce:
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 cup milk
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl combine the eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
- Combine all the dry ingredients and add to the sugar mixture. (It will be kind of stiff)
- Mix in the apples and walnuts and stir until blended well.
- Pour in the greased pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the Butter Sauce, melt the butter in a sauce pan and add the flour.
- Whisk in the milk and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Drizzle over sliced cake piece.
- Top with chopped walnuts if desired.
- Best served warm.
Leave a Reply