Ok…so I’m obsessed with all things pumpkin right now. I admit it…I’ve got a problem…I’m a pumpkin addict. Actually, wait, what am I saying? This is not a problem. I am proud to be a pumpkin lover!!! In fact, my only regret is that I didn’t discover all the amazing things you can do with pumpkin sooner in life. I’ve been missing out on some amazing foods! Including this delicious pumpkin soup.
This Harvest Vegetable Pumpkin Soup is definitely one of the amazing foods I wish I had found sooner in life. I used to think pumpkin was only meant for dessert foods , but have come to realize that the ways you can cook with pumpkin are endless. So I’ve been getting really creative and coming up with some “outside of the box” pumpkin recipes lately…and I am so pleased with the results.
This Harvest Vegetable Pumpkin Soup makes me so happy just to think about. It might sound a little odd, but don’t knock it til you try it. This stuff is divine!!! I’m so glad I came up with this recipe.
How Harvest Veggie Pumpkin Soup was Born!
The idea for this soup came last week when my family and I were eating my Pumpkin Coconut Curry for dinner. I was enjoying it so much that I thought to myself, there’s got to be a way to turn this into a soup. So with a few adaptations…walah…here it is… Harvest Pumpkin Vegetable Soup. Feel free to change things up and use whatever vegetables you’d like, or you could even add some meat if you’d like.
For another delicious pumpkin flavored recipe, try this Sour Cream Pumpkin Bread!
- ¼ cup butter
- ¾ c shredded coconut
- 3 garlic cloves diced (2 tsp minced garlic or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1½ tbsp curry powder
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground red pepper ( omit for a
- milder soup or double for a spicier soup)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 15 oz cans pureed pumpkin
- 2 cans (14 oz) of chicken broth
- 2 cans great northern white beans
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ c heavy whipping cream
- ½ c sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 zucchini (cut in circles first and then cut each circle into fourths)
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 red pepper diced
- Chop up vegetables and steam til they are al dente (cooked but still firm) This should take about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile in a bowl mix together all dry seasonings (curry powder, brown sugar, ground red pepper, ginger, and salt)
- Mix pumpkin puree in with dry ingredients and then set aside
- In a tall pot saute over medium heat diced onion, garlic, and shredded coconut in butter until lightly browned
- Pour in Pumpkin mixture and stir
- Slowly add chicken broth while stirring
- Dump in steamed veggies and beans, stir, and bring to a boil
- Boil soup for about 5 minutes (stirring continuously)
- Then reduce heat to low and stir in heavy cream, sour cream and lemon juice
- Let simmer over low heat for about 3-5 minutes (stirring occasionally)
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve
Leave a Reply