This Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry recipe is for all you curry lovers out there. My husband and I went out for Indian food with some friends the other night and it was mmm so good. So upon returning home my husband requested that I learn how to make my own curry, so we can eat it at home whenever we want (being that he has absolutely no cooking skills). So I decided to take on the challenge. Not only that, but I decided to step things up a notch and make up my own recipe. Yikes!!
One of my favorite things to do is to look at a bunch of recipes online and then make up my own recipe using small tidbits of each recipe that appeal to me. So this is exactly how I came up with Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry recipe. Being the start of fall I’ve had all things Pumpkin on my mind lately. So I really wanted to incorporate pumpkin flavor into my curry as well. Well this just might be one of the few brilliant ideas I have had in my life. These brilliant ideas may come few and far between, but this definitely tops the list. I absolutely loved this Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry, and my husband can’t stop raving about how good it is. I can always tell when my husband is really sincere about loving a food I make, because he won’t stop talking about it, and asking me when I’m gonna make it again. Well this is exactly what has happened with this Pumpkin Coconut Curry.
What have I done to myself? I have created a curry craving monster…good thing I love this stuff equally as much, so it won’t be a problem to make it time and time again.
We enjoyed this recipe so much that I decided to make it for my parents and siblings the other day as well. I wasn’t sure how they would feel about it, because I wasn’t sure if they share the same love for curry that my husband and I share. Well, the verdict was unanimous. This recipe is a winner, and let’s just say that I have created at least 2 more curry craving monsters now….my mom has not stopped talking about this curry since she tried it. In fact, she claims that it was one of her all time favorite foods now, and keeps inquiring when I am going to make it for them again. Like I said, every once in awhile I come up with something brilliant, and this Pumpkin Coconut Chicken Curry definitely qualifies! (However, Don’t make this for people unless you are seriously prepared to handle the endless requests to make it again…you just may find yourself in over your head 😉
- 1.5 lbs chicken breast tenders diced
- 11/2 15 oz cans pureed pumpkin
- ¾ c shredded coconut
- ½ c heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground red pepper ( omit for a
- milder curry or double for a spicier curry)
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- Seasoned salt
- Season the chicken chunks with seasoned salt and then cook chunks with olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat until lightly browned.
- In medium bowl mix brown sugar, ginger, curry powder, salt, and ground red pepper, then add pumpkin puree and mix well
- In seperate pot from chicken heat 4 tbs. butter with ¾ c coconut, diced small onion, and 3 diced garlic cloves.
- Stir until butter is melted, onion is starting to caramelize and coconut is slightly browned as well.
- Reduce heat to low and and stir in the mixture of brown sugar, ginger, curry powder, salt, ground red pepper, and pumpkin puree.
- Stir so that the mixture is evenly coated and then slowly stir in the chicken broth (you can put in less chicken broth if you prefer it thicker, add til you reach your preferred conistancy).
- Stir in heavy cream and lemon juice.
- Continue to stir over medium heat for about 10 minutes to let the flavors all meld together.
- Add the chicken to the mixture.
- Cook over medium heat for about another 5 minutes, while stirring ( this is important or your stove will end up a mess).
- Add salt and/or seasoned salt if needed to your desired taste and then pour over rice and serve