I could literally eat this Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole everyday and never be sick of it. This stuff is truly amazing!!! My mother in law makes this casserole for Christmas breakfast every year, and I always look forward to it with great anticipation. This year I finally got around to getting the recipe from her, and I actually volunteered to make it myself to be served for Christmas breakfast. I was thrilled to make this for the first time, but scared that I would totally botch it up. Luckily all went well and this Ham and Cheese Breakfast Casserole was a huge hit at our Christmas breakfast, just like it is every year.
I’m so glad that I finally got around to asking my mother in law for this recipe. I look forward to trying different variations by adding sausage, possibly bacon, and maybe I will even go out on a limb and try making a vegetarian breakfast casserole.
The trick to making this casserole amazing, is to allow it to set over night so that the egg can soak into the hash browns and make it more cohesive. Also, I would have never thought to use hash brown patties versus regular shredded hash brown in a breakfast casserole, but I’m so glad that somebody else did.
I also love how simple this Ham and Cheese breakfast casserole is to make. It is super convenient to be able to make it the night before and then just simply stick it in the oven in the morning. That is especially convenient on a morning such as Christmas, since it is typically full of lots of present opening and chaos (at least at our house).
- 8 Ore Ida Hashbrown patties
- ½ pound thinly sliced ham (cut in dime size squares)
- 8-10 eggs (8 large eggs or 10 medium eggs)
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1½ cups Pepper Jack cheese
- 1½ tsp seasoned salt
- Lighty butter both sides of each hashbrown patty and line bottom of 9x13 casserole dish with the hashbrown patties
- Spread thinly diced ham on top of hash brown
- In separate bowl whisk eggs til they are well beaten
- Then mix in half and half, cheeses, and Seasoned salt
- Pour mixture evenly over ham and hashbrown patties
- Cover with foil and allow to sit in fridge overnight (this allows the egg to soak into the hashbrown patties)
- When ready to bake preheat oven to 350 degrees F and bake uncovered for 45 minutes, or until eggs are set and golden brown
- Serve up with fresh salsa
Leave a Reply