My husband and I both are big time broccoli fans. That probably sounds weird because it seems like that is the most dreaded vegetable of all. But seriously I have loved broccoli since I was a little girl. My most favorite food growing up was broccoli and cheese. (Which I did get made fun of for). Well we’ve had this recipe up on our site for almost four years, and this is the first time I’ve tried making this chicken broccoli Alfredo dish. I was in heaven
I actually made this dish just last night, and was so excited to eat it, but something came up. My husband is a huge time Utah Jazz fan and his friend from high school offered him tickets last second for the game against the Spurs. It ended up being 2 VIP passes where we got to sit on the second row, right next to the Jazz player’s bench, and they gave us the VIP dinner. Well shoot I had just finished dinner, but we obviously weren’t going to turn down Jazz tickets and a free dinner. So this chicken broccoli Alfredo dish quickly turned into leftovers. I had a big bowl when I got home from the game last night, we both ate it for lunch today and we’re having it for dinner. We are OBSESSED with this pasta dish. It is definitely going in the rotation of dinners I’ll be making when I’m not making up some new recipe for the blog. SO happy I found this gem.
I think the lesson I learned from all of this is that we have some dang good recipes on our blog that my mom or sister have made that I haven’t even tried them out myself. Guess I’ll be using my own site more often for dinner ideas. 🙂
- 1 large rotisserie chicken (I love garlic butter) or 3 chicken breasts cooked and cubed.
- 3 cups broccoli, steamed and cut into bite size pieces.
- 1 box penne pasta (1 lb.)
- 1 cube butter
- 2½ cups heavy cream
- ½ tsp. minced garlic (this equals 1 clove)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Take the meat off the rotisserie chicken.
- Steam the broccoli (don't overcook). Set aside.
- Cook the penne according to the package directions and drain. (Rinse off so the pasta doesn't stick together)
- To make the Alfredo sauce, melt the butter in a large pan.
- Cook the garlic in the butter for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the cream, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, till the sauce starts to thicken.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese.
- Add the chicken and broccoli to the sauce and stir. Put the penne pasta in a large bowl, pour the chicken broccoli sauce over it and toss well.
- Serve on a large platter, and sprinkle more Parmesan cheese on top.
- So delicious!
Robin, this looks amazing! I have to make this for my husband!! He loves broccoli!! Please come by Piggy In Polka Dots and link this up at my link party! I would love to see it there!
Thanks so much!
Maria Iemma says
I am making this recipe tonight! I have the ingredients in the pantry/freezer and some left over chicken breast. You have made my day, menu planned, done.