Sausage Breakfast Strata
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: serves 10-12
- 7 cups cubed (1 inch) French Bread
- (day old is best)
- 1 (8 oz.) bag frozen bell pepper and onions
- 1 lb. sausage, cooked and crumbled.
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2¼ cups milk
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 4oz. can diced green chilis (optional)
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread ½ of the cubed French bread on the bottom. Top with half of the bell pepper and onion and half of the cooked sausage.Sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat again, layering the bread, onions, sausage and topping off with cheese. Whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper. (The green chilis can be added to the egg if you choose to use them.) Pour evenly over the casserole making sure to cover completely. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 40 to 50 minutes, checking to make sure the center is set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Top with salsa if desired.