Chicken, bacon and barbecue sauce all wrapped up in one dish is my idea of DELICIOUS! My family loves bacon and this recipe is definitely a hit with them not just because of the bacon, but because the chicken is so moist! Although adding bacon to pretty much anything makes it taste better…in my opinion atleast. I had found this recipe a while ago on allrecipes.com that had you grill the chicken. With it being winter, I decided to bake it instead. It was absolutely perfect! So depending on the season you could either grill or bake this Bacon Wrapped BBQ Chicken Recipe.
I will be anxious to try grilling it this summer!
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 12 thick slices of bacon (Farmland brand is my favorite!)
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (Love, Love Baby Rays!)
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until the sides are lightly crisped (about 5 minutes, don't over cook)
- Put the bacon on a paper towel lined plate to absorb excess fat.
- Trim your chicken so there is no fat on it.
- Place the chicken breasts in the prepared casserole dish.
- Wrap each chicken breast with 2 pieces of bacon in an x shape, tucking the ends under each breast.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes depending on how thick your chicken breasts are. Closer to 40 if you have a thicker chicken breast.
- Take out of oven and spread the barbecue sauce on top of each breast. I make sure there is plenty on each one.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes in the oven (once again depending on chicken thickness).
- About 5 minutes before the chicken is done cooking, sprinkle the cheese on top. Return to oven to melt the cheese.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving.