Sweet and Nutty Pumpkin Cupcakes
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: Cupcakes
Serves: 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- CREAM CHEESE FILLING
- 1 pkg (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- FROSTING AND NUT TOPPING
- ½ cup of butter (1 stick), room temperature
- 8 oz of Philly cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
- 2 - 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- ¾ cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together the pumpkin, eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla and almond extract. Mix well with a hand mixer or kitchen aid. Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix together. Add the flour.
- Line a cupcake pan with your choice of cupcake holders and fill about ¾ of the way up.
- Put the cupcakes in the oven for about 30-35 minutes. Poke with toothpick to check if they are finished.
- Let cool all the way before injecting the cream cheese filling
- In a small/medium size bowl mix together the cream cheese, milk and powdered sugar. Mix until thick and creamy. After the cupcakes have cooled, use a decorating bag and ¼" tip to inject the filling. Poke into cupcake and slowly squeeze out while slowly pulling up the decorating bag.
- In a medium size bowl mix together the butter, cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Whip up until light and fluffy. After you have filled the cupcakes you can frost them using a decorating bag and tip, or just spread the frosting with a knife.
- In a small sauce pan cook the sugar and nuts on medium heat. Make sure you are next to the nuts stirring the whole time. Wait until the sugar is browned and melted in order to be sure that the nuts are glazed with sugar. Do not over cook or they will taste burnt. (Takes about 3 minutes)
- Let cool and then sprinkle over cupcakes.
Leave a Reply