With Halloween creeping up I really wanted to make something festive and sweet to get in the mood. Well my brother in law’s girlfriend had made this amazing cake the other day and I just had to have the recipe. It was so moist and perfect in every way. In fact I really am not even a cake fan, but this cake recipe is to die for. So I decided I must make some cupcakes with her recipe. So I may have come up with the festive spider idea, but the credit for the cupcake recipe all goes to Rachel Harmon. Thanks Rachel! I will never turn back now. No ordinary box mix will ever compare.
This Spooky Spider Cupcake Recipe would be an especially fun treat to make with the kids or have a kid’s Halloween party. Just beware of the colorful frosting. I suggest you let the kids wear apron’s to prevent a big purple mess on their clothes.
- Cupcake recipe:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 box instant french vanilla pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup thick sour cream
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup butter (melted)
- orange food coloring
- Frosting recipe:
- 1 cup salted butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-3 tbsp heavy whipping cream (add more for fluffier frosting, less for thicker frosting)
- ½ -1 block cream cheese (depending on how much you like the cream cheese flavor)
- Purple Icing coloring ( I found this in the cake decorating section at Walmart)
- Spooky Spider Decor
- 1 package green apple pull and peel Twizzlers
- 1 package Halloween Oreos
- 1 package mini marshmallows
- Black sprinkles for eye balls ( optional)
- Cupcake Instructions: mix all the ingredients together and then add food coloring til you have desired color. Fill muffin cups about ⅔ of the way full and bake at 350 degrees for anywhere between 14-16 minutes.
- Frosting Instructions: have cream cheese and butter at room temperature and then cream them together in a mixer, add two cups powdered sugar, mix, then add the vanilla and the rest of the powdered sugar, then mix again, finally add the heavy whipping. Add purple icing coloring to the desired color you want and then cream and mix for about 3-5 minutes, until fluffy.
- Decorating Instructions: Frost each cupcake with the purple frosting after they have cooled. Then cut about ½ inch off of each Pull n' peel Twizzler and the proceed to cut the remaining portion in half.. Pull off each individual string and drape across the cupcake to make 8 spider legs. Place one Oreo in the center of each cupcake on top of the green spider legs. Then cut the mini marshmallows in half width wise and dip each half in a little frosting and place on the Oreos to make the Spider eyes. Then for the center of my spider eye balls I just cut little tiny pieces of the green Twizzlers and stuck them in the middle of each marshmallow. You could also use round black sprinkles, or mini chocolate chips, or just get creative.
Leave a Reply