I love traditions around the holidays. My mom used to always try to make the holidays a special and memorable time. One of my favorite recipes that my mom would make every holiday was her sour cream coffee cake. It was such a treat since she rarely made it any other time of year. I guess that made it just a little more special.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake Traditions
When I started my family, I decided it was important to carry on some of the traditions that I grew up with. Since I loved coffee cake so much, I decided to incorporate it into my traditions. This Sour Cream Coffee Cake recipe is one that I have made through out my married life.
I found that by adding sour cream to the coffee cake it made it moist and the flavor extra yummy. I love to make this on Christmas morning, but I also have found myself making it for other special mornings because it is so delicious.
My kids, even though they are all grown now, still get excited when they know I have made my sour cream coffee cake for breakfast!. They truly look forward to it every year.
Try This Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe Today!
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 Tbs. butter (melted)
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla and stir in the sour cream.
- Mix in the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a small bowl, make the topping by mixing together the butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon,
- Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle half of the topping over the batter.
- Spread the rest of the cake batter on top and then sprinkle the rest of the topping over the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
For another delicious sour cream recipe, try our Sour Cream Pumpkin Bread!