As Thanksgiving approaches, I usually love to eat anything I can get my hands on that has pumpkin in it. I love pumpkin pies, but I also love pumpkin cake. I found this recipe on the Betty Crocker site, and was intrigued by the two layers that switch places as they cook. I changed it a little, since I didn’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand. I added my own spices.
This cake is delicious and would make a perfect dessert for Thanksgiving or any occasion.
Pumpkin Layered Cake
This Pumpkin Layered Cake makes a perfect dessert for the holiday season.
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: Cake
- Cake Layer:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- Pumpkin Layer:
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup half and half
- 3 eggs
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, beat the cake ingredients on low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Spread in bottom of 13x9 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- In another bowl, mix the pumpkin layer ingredients together until smooth.
- Spoon the pumpkin mixture over the cake batter carefully.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 50 minutes or until the cake is set when lightly touched in the middle.
- Cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- In another bowl, beat the cream cheese, powdered sugar, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Add the whipping cream and beat until it becomes smooth and slightly stiff.
- Spread over the chilled cake.
- Store covered in the refrigerator.
Leave a Reply