I found this recipe for Oatmeal Carmelitas in a cook book that my sister in law gave me a few years ago. It’s her recipe and I was excited to make them because I loved the ingredients that I saw. They definitely didn’t disappoint! I had never heard of Oatmeal Carmelitas before trying these, but I guess they have been around for awhile. I would actually call these Oatmeal Caramel Bars, but I guess saying Oatmeal Carmelitas has a little bit more flare to the name.
These were so good that I found it hard not to eat just one! Well, let’s say I always have that problem when it comes to anything with caramel and chocolate in it. If you want to try something new and yummy, then these are a must. Hopefully you will love them as much as I did.
- 50 caramels
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 pan
- In a bowl, mix together the butter, sugar, flour, oatmeal, baking soda and salt together.
- Press ½ mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Melt chocolate chips and spread over the oatmeal layer.
- Unwrap caramels and melt them with the evaporated milk in the microwave, or double boiler.
- Spread over the top of the melted chocolate chips.
- Crumble the remaining oatmeal mixture over the top covering as much as you can.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes more.
- Chill 2 hours before cutting.
Leave a Reply