I can’t believe that another year has come and gone and Christmas is upon us again. In fact my kids seem to think that it is already Christmas, because it snowed so much this week here in Utah. The first thing my 3 year old daughter said when she woke up and saw the snow on Monday was “It’s Christmas time!!!”. Then every morning for the past couple days she has exclaimed, “Time to open presents….It’s Christmas”. Needless to say, it is going to be a long month!!!! We better get one of those Christmas countdown chains going PRONTO! Although she doesn’t quite yet understand how this whole Christmas thing works, I sure love seeing the excitement in her eyes. It makes Christmas so much more magical to be able to experience it through a child’s eyes again.
As a child, one of my favorite things about Christmas were the amazing Christmas treats we always got to experience this time of year. Candy, fudge, hot cocoa, Chex mix and cookies….lots of cookies!!!! I definitely have not outgrown my love for cookies, and my daughter may be even more in love with cookies than I am. I love trying new cookie recipes this time of year, so when I came upon a recipe for Eggnog Sugar Cookies I just knew I had to try it!
I found this recipe on the website Cooking Classy and made a few adaptations of my own. I reduced the amount of rum extract in the recipe, because it was just a titch too strong for my liking (though they were still amazing), and I added cream cheese to the frosting. The author of the Cooking Classy blog calls these cookies “Melt in your mouth Eggnog cookies” for a good reason. They really do melt in your mouth. They are soft and moist and seem to just dissolve in your mouth with very little effort.
I will admit that typically I am not a big fan of eggnog….I will have a glass from time to time, but if my husband had his choice he would drink it everyday. He absolutely loves the stuff, and apparently my daughter has inherited his love for Eggnog as well. I let her try her first cup of eggnog while making these cookies and she was completely in love. She quickly exclaimed “Mmmmm….this is my favorite” and asked for more. Then when the cookies were done she devoured those as well.
One of the great things about these Eggnog Cookies is that uyou really do not have to be an Eggnog lover to love these. Even though I may not be an eggnog fan, I sure do love these Eggnog Sugar Cookies!
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter (at room temperature)
- 2 large egg yolks
- ¼ tsp rum extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup eggnog
- ¼ cup butter, at room temperature (1/2 cube)
- 4 oz cream cheese softened (1/2 block)
- ¼ tsp rum extract
- 4- 5 Tbsp eggnog
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a bowl cream together butter (at room temperature), with Brown sugar, granulated white sugar, ( I use an electric hand mixer or a Kitchen Aid)
- Mix in egg yolks one at a time
- Add vanilla extract, rum extract, and eggnog and set aside
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- Set mixer to slow speed and slowly add flour mixture to the to the bowl with the other ingredients
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and scoop heaping tbsp of cookie dough about 2 inches apart onto cookie sheet
- Cook in at 350 degrees for 11-13 minutes
- Allow to cool for several minutes and then transfer to cookie rack
- After cookies have completely cooled on cookie rack, frost them with the eggnog frosting and lightly sprinkle with nutmeg or cinnamon
- Frosting Instructions
- In a bowl use an electric mixer to cream together softened butter and cream cheese
- Add rum extract and eggnog
- Slowly mix in powdered sugar with mixer on low speed
- May add additional eggnog until desired consistency is reached
Leave a Reply