Chinese Fried Chicken
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: Main
- 1 lb. chicken breasts (about 4 half breasts) cut into 1 inch chunks
- ½ tsp salt, 3 dashes of pepper
- Oil for frying
- (Salt and pepper chicken chunks and set aside while making batter)
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup ice cold water
- 1 Tbsp. oil (peanut or canola)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- HONEY GARLIC SAUCE:
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup water
- 2 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 4 tsp. water (for thickening)
- 2 Tbsp. oil left over from frying the chicken.
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE:
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- ⅔ cup water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- Make the frying batter in a large bowl by whisking the egg white and adding the remaining ingredients.
- Mix the batter till smooth.
- Add the chicken chunks that have marinated in the salt and pepper.
- Set the bowl in the fridge for at least a half hour.
- Heat the oil in a wok, or frying pan. (I used a frying pan since I don't own a wok)
- Make sure the oil is hot by testing a small piece of the chicken, it should start to sizzle immediately.
- Cook the chicken pieces till golden brown and cooked through. About 3-4 minutes on each side.
- (Make sure they are spread out in the pan so they don't stick together)
- Dish chicken out and place on paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- Toss in your favorite sauce, or you can dip them instead.
- Honey Garlic Sauce Instructions:
- Mix the honey, salt, garlic powder, vinegar and water together.
- Add the mixture to the pan that the chicken was fried in with the 2 Tbsp. of oil.
- Heat to a simmer and add the cornstarch mixture to thicken.
- Give it a quick stir and adjust taste with salt or sugar to your liking.
- (I just added a tiny bit of salt)
- Remove from heat and toss with your Chinese Fried Chicken, or pour in a bowl for dipping.
- If tossing with the chicken garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- Sweet and Sour Sauce Instructions:
- Mix all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the sauce thickens. Approximately 10 minutes.
- Toss with your Chinese Fried Chicken, or place in a small bowl for dipping!
FOR NUTRTIONAL VALUE AND MORE FUN RECIPES, CLICK ON THE MAGIC BUTTON!