Day 2 on our 30 Days of Christmas Countdown
Since they are such a hot item at the Gine’s home, I decided I better learn how to make them ( mainly because it will give me more leverage to get my husband to do chores if I know how to make his favorite cookies..lol). So for the 30 Days of Christmas Countdown I decided to put my own little Christmas twist into the recipe and turn them into peppermint Oreos. They turned out super cute and delicious and full of Christmas cheer ( ha ha…cheesy right ). Hope you enjoy them! Happy second day of Christmas in our countdown 🙂
Peppermint Oreo Cookies
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: cookies
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- ( I used triple fudge but my mother in law uses Devil's food cake)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- peppermint chips or crushed candy cane
- (I used Andes Peppermint Crunch and they were so good my husband I devoured about half the bag before I even made the cookies)
- 8 oz cream cheese (at room temp)
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Red food dye (add to desired color)
- peppermint flavoring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix cake mix, eggs and oil thoroughly in large mixing bowl with hand mixer (or kitchen aid would be even better! ).
- Roll dough into quarter size balls (you might want to let the dough sit in the fridge for a while so it hardens up a little and doesn't stick to your hands).
- Roll each individual ball in the peppermint bark on wax paper and place each ball about 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Cook for about 8 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on a cooling rack. (Do not try to frost them until they have cooled for at least 30 minutes.)
- In a separate bowl cream your butter and then add softened cream cheese, vanilla, and red food coloring and mix thoroughly.
- Add powdered sugar (3-4 cups depending on the consistency of frosting you desire). Spread frosting on bottom side of a cookie (that has cooled) and then place a second cookie on top to make an Oreo sandwich. Eat!
If you would prefer to not use peppermint chips but want the peppermint flavoring you can just at a couple of drops of peppermint flavoring to your frosting and omit the peppermint chips
Check Out these other cute holiday ideas on our 30 days of Christmas Countdown
|Peppermint Krispy Treats|
|Snowman Oreo Pops|