Ok, I have never been a fan of fruit cake, but believe it or not I absolutely loved these fruitcake cookies! I think I surprised myself and was so pleasantly pleased with the way these turned out.
Fruitcake always seems so dry to me, but these cookies are chewy and delicious! This recipe comes from jamhands.net and the only thing I changed was to not add the nuts since I know my family would like them better without them.
The cookies turned out great, and they made for a great Christmas cookie gift plate for friends and neighbors during the holiday season. Our friends really enjoyed this easy fruitcake cookies recipe and we got lots of positive feedback!
Try These Chewy Fruitcake Cookies!
If you don’t want to scare away anyone from trying them, then don’t tell them they are ‘fruitcake’ cookies. Instead, call them Christmas fruit cookies! Let them be pleasantly surprised themselves at how yummy they are!
For another delicious cookie recipe try our Orange Cream Cookies!
- 1⅓ cups flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1½ cups chopped mixed dried fruit (I bought a fruitcake mix which included orange and lemon peels, green and red cheeries, and pineapple) You can buy them separately and use the ones you like though.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or lightly spray the cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and blend together thoroughly. Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter. Lightly mix together, be careful not to overmix. Fold in the dried fruit.
- Roll the cookies into 1 inch balls and drop on to the lined cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. (Don't overcook or they won't be as chewy) Cool for 10 minutes on the cookie sheet then remove to a wire rack.