When I saw a recipe for Crunchy Pea Salad, I thought really? A whole salad out of peas? Well, it is true, you can make a salad out of peas!
Of course, with the addition of nuts, and craisins and bacon, this turned out to be absolutely delicious! I wasn’t sure how the family was going to react to it, but after dinner was over, they kept picking at. That is always a good sign!
This recipe comes from family.go.com website. It’s been an instant classic, and the peas help you feel like you’re eating a really healthy salad. 🙂 The next time I make this though, I think I will add some chopped cauliflower to add a little more color!
- 1 10oz. box frozen sweet peas, thawed and drained
- 1 cup peanuts
- ¼ cup chopped greens onions
- 1 lb. bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup craisins
- ½ cup mayonaise
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. of vinegar
- 1 tsp. sugar
- ground pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp. Maggi seasoning (I couldn't find it, but the substitute for it is even amounts of soy sauce and worcestershire sauce.) That is what I added.
- Optional ingredients for salad: 1 cup chopped cauliflower, ½ cup celery. If you add more ingredients you might want to make a little extra sauce to mix in.
- Whisk together the mayonaise, vinegar, sugar, pepper and Maggi seasoning together in a bowl.
- Add the mixture to the other ingredients and toss well.
- Chill for at least 1 hour before serving!
- Soooo good!