Spaghetti with Bacon Sauce and Meatballs
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: Main
- Bacon Sauce:
- 1 1b. thick sliced bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (28 oz.) cans chunky ground tomatoes (I used crushed tomatoes because I couldn't find ground)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 lbs. 85% lean ground beef
- ¾ cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- ¾ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- Salt and Pepper (1 tsp salt, ¾ tsp pepper)
- 1 lb. spaghetti (or bucatini if you like)
- To make the sauce, cut bacon into pieces and cook over medium heat in a large frying pan. When bacon is just getting crispy, add the onion to the pan (do not drain the grease). Cook until the onion becomes transluscent. Add the garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Turn heat on low and simmer for 1 hour to 1½ hours.
- While the sauce is simmering, make the meatballs.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, eggs and salt and pepper.
- Mix together with hands until well blended.
- Form meatballs into about 2 inch sizes. Place on cookie sheet.
- Cook in the 425 degree oven for 10 minutes. Turn oven to 350 degrees and cook 10 more minutes. Check to make sure they are thorougly cooked through. Keep in a warm oven till ready to eat. (Make these about the last half hour of simmering the sauce)
- Cook the spaghetti according to package till al dente.
- Serve the bacon sauce over the spaghetti and top with meatballs and more parmesan cheese.