This is one of those posts where I have to admit that everything didn’t turn out just the way I planned. In my efforts to make a delicious Lemon Cream Cake, I found myself with what I thought was going to be a big disaster! The cake was made, and as I attempted to move it and frost the middle, the whole thing fell apart right before my eyes. In my dissapointment I threw the whole thing on to a plate and was really feeling bad about wasting it. Oops! I tried to think of a way to salvage this dessert, since it was ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS, yes my husband and I nibbled at it. I pulled out one of my glass dessert cups and layered the crumbled mess and frosting into the cup, and I was pleasantly suprised that it didn’t look too bad! So I basically ended up with something similar to a triffle! Yeah, I served the dessert cups and in reality no one really knew that it was supposed to be a beautiful cake instead!! Thus, this is now what I call a Lemon Cream Oops Cake! After all, taste is most important to me and believe me, this was sooo yummy!
- 1 package white cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
- 1 package lemon cake mix
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp. melted butter
- Lemon zest from ½ the lemon
- Make the white cake according to the directions on the box, adding the sour cream and vanilla.
- Bake in a 10 in round baking pan. Cool the cake completely.
- For the lemon cream filling, mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest of half the lemon and whipping cream. Mix until creamy and smooth.
- For the crumb topping, combine ¾ cup of the lemon cake mix with themelted butter to make a crumb topping.
- To assemble the cake, cut the white cake in half so you can spread the lemon cream filling between the 2 layers of the cake. (THIS IS WHERE DISASTER STRUCK ME)
- Frost the top of the cake with a thing layer of cream filling and sprinkle the crumb topping on top.
Tastes just as good!!!