Cake bites are the best. I love how they can make a dessert table look ten times better just because they are so cute. I was at my sister in law’s baby shower the other day and there was this beautiful display of cake bites and I was dying. Too bad they take a little bit of time to make, or else I’d be making them all the time.
I decided to try making a Christmas themed cake bite, so I tried these gingerbread cake balls. They we’re so yummy. My whole family was dying at how tasty they tasted, and of course I was dying at how adorable they looked. I’d definitely bring these truffle bites to a Christmas party, not only because they’re tasty, but because I know they’d make the dessert table look that much better.
If you haven’t made cake balls before, make sure you have time and a little bit of patience. Especially if you want them to turn out looking absolutely perfect.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 oz tub of vanilla frosting
- 12 oz package white chocolate chips
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Sprinkles to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- In a medium bowl mix together the molasses, oil and egg.s
- Add in all the seasonings and mix well.
- Add the cake mix and mix together until there are no clumps.
- Poor into a 9x13 cake pan
- Bake for 28-32 mins
- Remove cake from the oven and let cool completely.
- Using a fork crumble up the cake into a medium sized bowl.
- Mix ¾ of the frosting in with the cake crumbs.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Roll the cake mixture into 1 inch balls.
- Place the cake balls into the fridge for 2 hours or into the freezer for 30 mins.
- Pour the white chocolate chips and 2 tsp vegetable oil into a microwave safe bowl.
- Cook the chocolate chips in the microwave foir 2-3 mins until completely smooth.
- (Make sure you pull out the chocolate and stir it ever 30 seconds or it will clump up)
- Roll the cooled cake balls in the chocolate and line back on the cookie sheet.
- (Be sure you do this step fast before the chocolate hardens)
- Decorate with sprinkles or cinnamon.
- Place the cake balls back in the fridge for 15 mins.
- (NOTE: If the cake seems a little bit flat after cooking, don't worry it still works perfectly for the cake bites)
Leave a Reply