Have you ever tried broccoli with homemade cheese sauce? I’m not talking about the gross nacho cheese sauce that you can find at your local gas station. I’m talking about a nice thick and creamy sauce made with cream and real cheese. It is seriously one of the greatest side dishes of all time. Yes you may be making your broccoli a little fattening, but it’s so worth the extra calories.
When I was a little girl I was in my church class and I was being spotlighted for my birthday. One of the questions that they asked me was what my favorite food was. While all the other kids most likely had answered pizza, ice cream or cheeseburgers, my answer was broccoli and cheese sauce. At that moment the whole room of kids all yelled EWWWW! ha The sad little shy girl that I was, was mortified. So I kept my broccoli and cheese sauce obsession to myself from then on. But I’m not hiding anymore and need everyone to know that the 10 year Becky wishes she would have been more proud of this dish because it’s pretty dang amazing and more people should have known about this earlier.
Now something else that you probably should know about this cheese sauce is that it’s not only good on broccoli. I also love it on baked potatoes, dipping French bread in it, or as a creamy gravy over chicken and mashed potatoes. You can use it however you like.
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup milk
- 3-4 cups cheddar cheese (You choose how cheesy you like it)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 bundle of steamed broccoli (or However much you would like)
- Steam the broccoli and set aside.
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- In a large sauce pan melt the butter.
- Add the garlic and let it simmer in the butter for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and whisk together to make a buttery paste.
- Add in the cream, milk, salt and pepper.
- Heat over medium heat while continuously stirring.
- Let the cream thicken up and start to bubble.
- When you see it bubbling you can start to add the cheese one cup at a time and stir.
- Let the cheese melt before adding the next cup.
- Stir the cheese mixture until all the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the heat.
- Pour over steamed broccoli.
Leave a Reply