I am a sucker for a really yummy carrot cake recipe. When my old roommate made this carrot cake one day a few years back, I ended up eating almost 1/2 the cake. It truly is the best carrot cake ever. I had no clue I liked carrot cake as much as I do until I tried this recipe. Something I have realized when it comes to cakes, is that I need it to be moist and dense, with a really yummy frosting layered on top. This cake has exactly all of that.
Something else I realized about this cake is that it matters what cake pans you make it in. I have tried making it two different ways. I’ve made it in a 9 x 13 pan and just layered the frosting on top, and I have also made this cake in two 10 inch round cake pans and then layered the frosting in between the two cakes and covered the whole cake with frosting. I definitely liked the round cake 10 times better. The frosting in between the two cakes gave it more moisture and more flavor. Plus the cake ends up looking prettier that way. I feel like it’s definitely worth the extra work.
You and your guests will not be disappointed when it comes to this carrot cake. Seriously, if you are looking for the perfect carrot cake, then you’ve gotta try this recipe out. I could make it every week, if I had the metabolism to handle half a cake a week.
- 4 eggs
- 1½ c sugar
- 1½ c vegetable oil
- 2 c flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 c grated carrots
- 1 16 oz package whole pecans
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ½ c butter (1 stick)
- 1 lb powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp almond extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Grease 2 10 inch round cake pans
- In a large bowl mix together eggs, sugar, and vegetable oil until smooth.
- Add the cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg and mix together.
- Add in the flour and mix well.
- Fold in the carrots.
- Split the cake batter between the two cake pans.
- Put in the oven for 25-30 minutes (check by poking with a fork)
- Let cool.
- Remove the cakes from the cake pans.
- In a separate bowl mix the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and almond extract.
- Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Mix until you have a thick, creamy frosting.
- On the first round cake frost the top and then layer the other cake on top.
- Finish frosting the whole cake.
- Layer the sides of the cake with the whole pecans.
- Cut triangle pieces and Enjoy.
Leave a Reply