Growing up, I had Mexican food every Tuesday night. I seriously don’t think my mom intentionally made it that way, but I remember coming home from dance lessons every Tuesday to some sort of Mexican dish (usually tacos or cheesy enchiladas) with a side of corn and Rice-a-Roni’s Spanish rice. Not sure if you have tried Rice-a-Roni’s Spanish rice or their Mexican rice, but I am obsessed with both.
Well, now that I am an adult and have a family of my own, I am all about making dinner traditions. This delicious pepper jack enchilada recipe was a no-brainer.
You Can’t Go Wrong With Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
One of the dishes my mom would make was creamy chicken enchiladas. I understand that this is so not real Mexican food, but maybe that’s why I loved it so much as a kid. I now love a creamy chicken enchilada casserole made all ways, including real authentic Enchiladas from one of those little Mexican restaurants.
I need to find a good authentic chicken enchilada recipe to add to my Mexican food Tuesday list, but for now I am totally ok eating these creamy chicken enchiladas every few weeks.
Pepper Jack Enchiladas for the Win!
I wanted to switch up my mom’s recipe a tad bit by giving it more of a kick. So all I really changed was the cheese I put into the dish and how I arrange the tortillas. Adding pepper jack cheese was definitely a good choice, because these creamy pepper jack chicken enchiladas were absolutely wonderful.
Creamy Pepper Jack Chicken Enchiladas for dinner is always a great choice, especially if you use A LOT of cheese. I’m convinced you can never get enough. Find the creamy chicken enchilada casserole recipe below. 🙂
Try this Creamy Pepperjack Chicken Enchilada Recipe Today!
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 pint sour cream
- 4 oz can Ortega green chilies, chopped
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 9 medium size tortillas
- ¾ lb. grated pepper jack cheese
- ¼ lb. grated cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, combine soup, sour cream, chilies, onions and pepper jack cheese together.
- Take out and set aside 2 cups of this mixture.
- Add chicken pieces to the original cream mixture bowl and mix together.
- Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with 3 tortillas ripped into fourths.
- Spread ½ of the chicken mixture over the tortillas. .
- Rip 3 more tortillas up and layer over the chicken mixture.
- Spread the rest of the chicken mixture over the tortillas.
- Layer with 3 more torn tortillas
- Pour the 2 cups of sauce over the top of the tortillas. Top with Cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degree for 40-45 minutes.
- Top with a dollop of sour cream and guacamole.
If you’re looking for another take on yummy enchiladas, check out our smothered green chile enchiladas recipe as well!