Every Valentine’s day should include a special Valentine’s treat and this Strawberry Jello Cake is the perfect candidate. I really have never been a huge cake fan. In fact, as a child I usually requested that my mom make some other kind of dessert besides cake (cookies, brownies, etc). As an adult though I have discovered a new found love for cake. Turns out I was just eating the wrong kind of cake my whole life. I’ve come to realize that I’m very particular about how I like my cake. Plain, dry cake out of a box with frosting from a store bought tub does no appeal to me (which was pretty much the only kind of cake I ever had growing up). I like my cake to be super moist, which is why I am a big fan of putting sour cream in my cake (a little known trick to moisten it up), and I’m all about poke cakes that have some kind of gooey goodness infused through out.
This Strawberry Jello Cake is infused with jello which makes every bite super moist and delicious. Hence the reason it is one of my all time favorite cake recipes. Even though it is made from a box cake mix, there are a few special touches that make it stand out from other ordinary cake mix cakes. I already mentioned the touch of sour cream, and the jello infused in every bite, and the final secret is a touch of almond and vanilla extract. This gives it the perfect flavor!
So if your’e a big procrastinator like me, and have put off getting anything for your special someone til the last minute, this Strawberry Jello Cake would be the perfect way to tell someone “I love you!”. Or, if you are currently lacking in the “Special Someone” department, why not show yourself a little self love and treat yourself to some of this deliciousness. Either Way…I’d like to wish you all an early HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!
- 1 box White Cake Mix
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp almond extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large box strawberry jello (6 oz) or 2 small boxes (3 oz each)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 12 oz container of Cool Whip (thawed)
- Sliced strawberries for topping (how much is up to you)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine cake mix, eggs, water, oil, and vanilla and almond extract ( mix well)
- Grease 9 x 13 cake pan with cooking spray and pour cake batter in pan. Spread evenly with rubber spatula
- Cook immediately at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes (or until you can poke a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean)
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes
- Use fork to poke holes throughout the cake (stagger them as much as possible)
- In bowl combine boiling water and jello powder mix, stir until jello dissolves
- Pour over cake, filling the holes that you made with the fork
- Allow to sit in fridge for 3-4 hours
- When ready to serve spread thawed cool whip on with top with spatula
- Top with sliced strawberries