I think for as long as I can remember, I have always loved playdough.. You may think that being a grandma makes me to old to enjoy it, but there is something about the way it feels that brings back so many memories from my childhood. I have a couple of grand kids living with me and whenever they get bored, the quick remedy is always to bring out the homemade playdough.
I have found that the store bought playdough is great, but there is something about the homemade version that I tend to find better. It only takes a few minutes to mix up a batch which will last you quite awhile as long as you keep it in an air tight container. I usually just put it in plastic bags and make sure to suck the air out as I zip it closed. You can make whatever color you like, and you could even add scented oils to give it a fun smell. I don’t usually worry about the smell though, the kids don’t seem to care. I do know with the amount of salt in it, they aren’t likely to want to eat it!
- 1 cup flour
- 2 Tbs. Cream of Tartar
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbs. cooking oil
- Food Coloring (10 to 15 drops)
- In a saucepan combine the salt, oil and water.
- Turn heat to medium and add food coloring.
- Whisk in flour and cream of tartar.
- Stir continuously until it comes away from the sides and forms a ball.
- Pour out onto a kneading board and cool slightly
- (If you want more color you can add more food coloring at this time too.)
- Knead for 3-5 minutes until nice and smooth.
- Store in an air tight container or ziploc bag.
- Should last several weeks.