This Cauliflower Fried Rice is an amazing healthy alternative to traditional Fried Rice. I was super skeptical about whether or not this would be able to compare in taste to the Fried rice I have grown up accustomed to. My mind has been conditioned to think that “Healthier” = “less tasty”. However, I have recently come to find that that is not always truth. As I have been striving to change my pallet to a healthier cuisine, I have discovered many different recipes, that are both healthy and delicious.This Cauliflower Fried Rice definitely fits into this category of “healthy”and “delicious”, and in fact I am almost inclined to say that I like it even more than the traditional fried rice. I really loved it!!!
We ate this Cauliflower Fried Rice with some teriyaki chicken that I made in the crockpot, and it was absolutely divine. It made the perfect combo!
Two things about this Cauliflower Fried Rice really surprised me and surpassed my expectations. First is the fact that my 21 month old son devoured this stuff without hesitation. I had expected him to take one look at it and push it away, but on the contrary, he actually loved it. I just love it when that happens!!!
The second thing that surprised me is that my brother was almost completely fooled into believing that this was made with actual rice. It is actually that good. If I hadn’t announced that it was made with cauliflower, he probably wouldn’t have ever know the difference. That right there is a testament of how tasty this dish really is.
- 1 head cauliflower (or 1 bag of pre-packaged Cauliflower pearls)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (may substitute with Sesame Oil)
- ½ white onion (diced)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 3 eggs (well beaten)
- ¾ c. Frozen peas
- ¾ c. Frozen carrots (diced)
- ¼ cup Low Sodium Soy sauce
- 1.5 tbsp light brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp ginger
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional to add spice)
- ⅓ cup diced Green onions (for garnish)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut up Cauliflower into florets and chop in the food procceser until they are in pieces the size of rice (Or you can just buy a bag of cauliflower pearls from the produce section if your grocer carries it)
- In medium skillet heat olive oil with diced onion and minced garlic til starts to caramelize
- Then add eggs (beaten) to the pan and stir until eggs have solidified (as you are stirring break the eggs into small pieces)
- Add Cauliflower pearls, frozen peas, and diced carrots to the pan
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally
- Meanwhile in separate bowl whisk together soy sauce, brown sugar ,ginger, and red pepper flakes if desired (I prefer to leave them out)
- Stir sauce into pan with other ingredients. Blend well so that sauce is evenly distributed throughout
- Cook until cauliflower is tender
- Garnish with green onions and salt and pepper to desired taste