I love holiday treats that bring back some wonderful memories. When I was little my mom would make popcorn balls every Christmas. She would wrap them cellophane and sometimes we would hang them on the tree so visitors and family could pick them and eat them. I love this recipe because the popcorn looks pretty but it also tastes delicious. Part of the fun of making this Gooey Christmas Popcorn is popping the popcorn in a popcorn machine and adding the food coloring to get the perfect color. I remember helping my mom make the popcorn balls by buttering my hand and then rolling the popcorn until I got the perfect shape. However, if you don’t want to make them into balls, it’s also perfect just in a big bowl.
It’s fun to carry on traditions and food is definitely a reminder of things in the past. I would encourage anyone to start their own traditions, and maybe making popcorn balls and hanging them on the tree might be one to try!
- 6 quarts popped popcorn. (I salt it some)
- ¾ cup butter
- 1 cup Karo Syrup
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 Tbs. water
- ½ tsp. red food coloring (or as much as you like to desired color)
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- In a pot combine the Karo syrup, butter, sugar and water.
- Bring to a full rolling boil stirring constantly.
- Boil for 1 minute
- Remove from heat and add almond extract, vanilla extract and food coloring.
- Pour over the popcorn and mix until all the popcorn is covered.
- Roll into balls, (be careful not to burn yourself let it cool some)
- Wrap in cellophane, tie a ribbon around the top and hand on the tree.