Paula Deen's Baked French Toast
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: breakfast
- 1 loaf french bread (I actually needed about 1½ loaves) to make about 20 1 inch slices.
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- dash of salt
- Praline Topping:
- 1 lb. butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- The night before you want to serve this prepare the french toast by doing the following:
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish. Slice the french bread into 1 inch slices to make about 20 slices.
- Layer the french bread in the casserole dish in two rows, overlapping each other. Place the bread slices standing up in the dish. Beat the eggs, milk half and half, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together.
- Pour over the bread making sure to get in between the slices so that they all are covered by the egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and place in the fridge for the night.
- In the morning, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Make the praline topping by combining the ingredients together and then spreading over the top of the french toast. Make sure to spread it evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until puffy and lightly browned. (You may need to check it to see if it is cooked in the middle section, if not, cook it just a little longer.) Serve with syrup!