Have you ever found yourself buying those tin cans of butter almond shortbread cookies that you find in the store every holiday season? I actually love those little cookies. There is something about them that I find enticing. I don’t know if it is the cute tin can they come in or just the fact that they are tasty little Danish cookies.
Almond Flavored Shortbread Cookies Make Great Gifts
I decided to make my own little cookies that I could actually put in a tin can if I choose. These Almond Shortbread Cookies are my version of some yummy buttery cookies. They are a type of Danish Cookie, but they also remind me a little of the almond cookies that you get in a Chinese Restaurant.
Any way I look at it, these are absolutely delicious and if you put some in a cute little container, they will make the perfect holiday gift for friends and neighbors! If you love shortbread cookie recipes but have never tried making a Danish Almond Shortbread Cookie, there’s never a better time to start than now. See the almond shortbread cookie recipe below to get started!
Try This Danish Almond Shortbread Cookie Recipe Today!
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sliced almonds
- sugar for sprinkling
- In a bowl, whip together the butter, sugar, beaten egg, almond extract and salt until light and fluffy, (about 5 minutes)
- Gradually add the flour, ½ cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- On a floured board, roll the dough out to about ½ inch thick.
- Using a 2 inch diameter cup or cookie cutter, cut circles out of dough.
- Use a spatula to lift up and place on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Using a pastry brush, lightly brush each cookie with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle sugar on each cookie and top with sliced almonds.
- Bake for 10 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
- Let cool
Also, if you’re in the mood for other cookie recipes as well, try out these Orange Cream Cookies!