This almond cherry cookies recipe has been a Christmas tradition in my family ever since I can remember. My mom made these every year at Christmas time and I have to say they are to this day one of my favorite almond cookies ever! She handed down her recipe to me on a 3×5 card that I still have to this day. It has yellowed and the writing has faded but I consider it a treasure!
Christmas truly is a time where you can bring loved ones back into your memories as you enjoy the special treats that you grew up on. I have made these almond cherry cookies myself every year, and I hope that my children, and hopefully someday grandchildren, will also enjoy these for many Christmases to come. You might also like to add my Mom’s Almond Cherry Cookies to your Christmas cookie list.
Make Memories with Almond Cherry Cookies
I’m happy that my mom left behind so many great recipes that I can now share with all of you. It truly does make blogging even more special for me.
For another great cookie recipe, try out our Orange Cream Cookies!
- 1 cup butter
- 1½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 egg, well beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 2½ cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tarter
- Maraschino Cherries
- Cream together butter and sugar
- Add egg and extracts and beat well
- Add the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour
- Form small balls and place on a cookie sheet.
- Cook in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, depending big you roll the balls. Smaller ones might only take about 8 minutes)
- While the cookies are cooking, take your maraschino cherries, dry them off with a paper towel, and cut them in half.
- After cookies come out of oven, put on rack to cool and place a cherry in the middle of the cookie.