When I was first married, a few years back, I was trying to figure out how to be a good wife by making lots of yummy recipes for my husband. I was coming up with recipes to make and told my husband I was going to make a sweet and sour meatball recipe. At that point he informed me that he didn’t like meatballs. Ha. Too bad I thought. Although I was trying to be a good wife, I also wanted to make foods that I really enjoyed. And meatballs have always been at the top of the list of foods I crave.
Well I ended up making this sweet and sour meatball recipe, and guess what? This is one of the top three recipes we make around our house because my husband loves it so much. I’m pretty sure he had only ever had frozen meatballs before (Which I still like), but he didn’t understand how delicious a homemade meatball was. This sweet and sour meatball recipe nails it in the meatball category.
Go ahead and give this meatball recipe a try. Your family will love this dish and will be asking you to make it again and again.
- 1½ lbs ground hamburger meat
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs (I use progresso's)
- ½ yellow or white onion fine chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic (I use garlic from a jar, but you can use fresh garlic)
- 1 tsp pepper
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup white vinegar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 can pineapple chunks or tidbits drained
- In a large bowl place ground beef, diced onion, eggs, bread crumbs, pepper, and garlic.
- Using your hands mash all the meat together until it's all blended.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Roll your meat into 2 inch balls and line on the cookie sheet.
- Place the meatballs in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 and let the meatballs cook for 10 more minutes.
- In a large sauce pan whisk together the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, water, and soy sauce.
- Let the sauce heat up over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Slowly whisk in the corn starch to allow the sauce to thicken.
- Add the pineapple and meatballs and let simmer on low heat for 10 more minutes.
- Serve over rice.