We are all cheesy potato soup lovers in our home, that is no secret. So the other day we were feeling really ambitious and decided to make up our own Cheesy Potato Soup recipe and it turned out to be a huge success.
We decided to make it a Loaded Cheesy Potato Soup by adding bacon as well, and boy was that a good decision. The bacon was the perfect touch! Everybody loved it and couldn’t get enough of it.
There is nothing better on a crisp fall night then a big bowl of this Loaded Baked Potato Soup!
I promise you won’t be disappointed with this recipe!
Loaded Cheesy Potato Soup
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 6 servings
- 4 cups yellow potatoes
- ½ c chopped onion
- ½ pkg bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 c milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- ¼ c flour
- ½ c sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by chopping up about 6 medium yellow potatoes and boiling them.
- While they are boiling cook the bacon and crumble it ( Careful not to burn it like my mom did though 😉
- When the bacon is done drain the excess grease from the pan and saute the diced onion and garlic clove in the same pan ( this gives it a little extra bacon flavor).
- In a large sauce pan melt butter and add the flour to make a rue.
- Gradually add in the milk and chicken broth to make a nice creamy base for your soup
- Stir in salt and pepper to taste and continue to cook on a medium heat while stirring.
- Once you have it the thickness you would like stir in the cheese, add the onion/garlic mixture and potatoes
- Last but not least stir in the sour cream to top it off