I love it when I come across a healthy recipe that is also delicious as well. I used to think eating healthy had to be dull and tasteless, but over time I have discovered that there are so many good foods out there that can boast of being both healthy and tasty. This Skinny White Bean Turkey Chili definitely meats both of these qualifications.
The inspiration for this Skinny White Bean Turkey Chili came from a recipe I happened upon on the My Fitness Pal blog. As I mentioned before, I have been participating in a Healthy Living Challenge with a a few family members and friends. It has given me motivation to find healthier recipes to cook up. As part of the challenge I have been recording all of my calorie intake in the My Fitness Pal App, and it was while I was doing that one day that I came upon the recipe that inspired this Skinny White Bean Turkey Chili.
I did make a few changes to the recipe to make it my own. The recipe on My Fitness Pal called for just plain turkey rather than ground turkey. While I’m sure it would be delicious with roasted turkey pieced in it, I did not want to go to all the trouble to cook a whole turkey just so I could add it to this soup. Too much work for me! However, it could be a great recipe to make using left over turkey from a Turkey dinner. Maybe someday I will try making it this way, but for now I found ground turkey to be a delicious addition.
I also pretty much doubled the spices in this soup, added green pepper, and used canned tomatoes instead of fresh tomato (once again I just found this to be easier). I was very pleased with the end result and have now made this for my family 2 weeks in a row. It’s another great dinner idea for a cold winter’s day (which we’ve been having a lot of here in Utah). Hope you enjoy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 green pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 4 cans Great Northern White Beans
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 4 cups fat free chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium frying pan heat oil with diced onion, diced green pepper, and minced garlic til onions start to caramelize
- Stir in 4 cans of Great Northern White Beans (drained) and add seasonings (Chili powder, cumin, dried oregano, and garlic salt)
- Allow to simmer about 5-10 minutes while stirring occasionally
- Pour half of the bean mixture in your slow cooker and the other half in a blender or food processer
- Blend in blender til smooth
- Then combine with whole beans in slow cooker
- In separate frying pan brown ground turkey over medium heat. Use spatula to break the turkey up into bite size pieces
- Add ground turkey to the slow cooker as well
- Stir in 4 cups of Chicken Broth and 1 can of drained diced tomatoes
- Turn slow cooker on and allow to cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours
- Right before serving stir in lime juice, diced cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste