So let’s talk cheesy potatoes…..Who doesn’t love them? Seriously? If you don’t like cheesy potatoes, you might want to keep it to yourself…I might question your sanity ( unless of course you have a good excuse like allergies or something). I’ve tried a lot of cheesy potatoes in my day, and I have liked most of the recipes I have tried. Honestly, you put cheese and potatoes together, and it’s seriously hard to go wrong. It’s like peanut butter and jelly, pancakes and syrup, cereal and milk….they are just meant for each other.
However, this recipe for Cheesy Ranch Slow Cooker Potatoes isn’t just good…. it’s extraordinary! In fact it just might top the charts for the best cheesy potatoes EVER! I really mean that….not just because I made them, but because they really are so amazing! My mom, dad, brother…and everyone who has tried them couldn’t stop raving about how good they are.
I came up with this recipe by combining all my favorite elements from different cheesy potato recipes I have tried over the years (which is a lot)….Here in Utah it seems like we eat cheesy potatoes all the time. It is a popular dish at pretty much any social function…holiday or family parties, church socials, and even funerals. …yes funerals. In fact we often call them “Funeral Potatoes”. I’m not exactly sure how the tradition started to serve cheesy potatoes at funerals, but it does make sense if you think about it. They taste amazing, and when you are at a funeral you are probably not feeling in the chipperest of moods. So what better than some creamy cheesy potatoes to warm the soul and brighten one’s spirits. Right?
Another great thing about these Cheesy Ranch Slow Cooker potatoes, besides tasting amazing, is that they are super easy and can be cooked right out of your slow cooker (in case you didn’t pick that part up from the title 😉 . This gives you the advantage of being able to prep them in advance and then just leave the rest up to the slow cooker.
- 1 package shredded hashbrowns (Ore Ida)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (medium)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream (Daisy)
- 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dip (in powder form)
- 1 stick of butter melted (1/2 cup)
- 3 cups corn flakes
- 1 package French's fried onions
- Spray crock pot or line it with a slow cooker liner
- Pour in shredded hash browns (I use Ore Ida brand )
- Use a spoon or fork to break up any large chunks of frozen hash browns that may be stuck together
- Mix in shredded medium Cheddar cheese so that it is evenly distributed throughout the hash browns
- In a separate bowl whisk together cream of chicken soup, sour cream, and Hidden Valley ranch dip
- Pour over hashbrowns and mix evenly through out
- Add half of the French fried onions in with the hash browns and stir
- Melt butter in the microwave and then drizzle half of it over the hashbrowns and mix in
- In separate bowl crush up corn flakes and remainder of French fried onions. ( I crush them with a wire whisk, or you could put them in a Ziploc bag and crush them)
- Mix remainder of melted butter (about ¼ cup) in with the crushed cornflakes and fried onions
- Spread the over the top of the hashbrowns in your Crockpot
- Turn crock pot to High and let cook for 4 hours (or 6-8 hours on low)