Ever since I was little I have been a big fan of making treats. I would hangout in the kitchen making up different dessert recipes that were easy enough for a kid. I’ll be honest, most of them turned out a little iffy, but as I got older the recipes improved. Now as an adult I still love making desserts, especially cupcakes. I love how cute you can make cupcakes look and really how easy they are to put together.
While thinking of delicious combinations of flavor, I came up with these strawberry almond cupcakes. I love using almond flavoring in my treats and the almond in these cupcakes was the perfect ingredient to make these cupcakes fabulous. Strawberry and almond flavoring mixed together definitely complements each other.
If you are looking for the perfect cupcake recipe for your next party, then this cupcake recipe is the one.
Find the freeze dried strawberries at target.
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- ¾ cup plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp almond extract
- ½ cup softened butter
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1.25 oz freeze dried strawberries (I get them from Target in the bakery)
- Strawberries for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Line your cupcake pan
- in a large bowl mix together with a hand mixer the cake mix, eggs, and oil.
- Add the Greek yogurt and almond extract and mix together til smooth.
- fill each cupcake liner ⅓ of the way full
- Put in the oven for 17 minutes.
- Check to see if they are finished by putting a fork in the cupcakes. The fork should come out clean.
- in a blender, food processor or magic bullet mix the freeze dried strawberries til they are a powder. You can sift the seeds out if you don't want them in your frosting.
- Soften the butter by zapping it in the microwave for 10 seconds
- In a medium bowl mix together the cream cheese, butter, almond and vanilla extract til smooth.
- Add in the strawberry powder and mix together.
- Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time and blend well.
- Mix all the powdered sugar in and blend together to create a thick creamy frosting
- After your cupcakes have cooled, then you can frost them however you like.
- Top with half a strawberry and share 🙂