Our Favorite Clam Chowder
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 8 cups
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into 2 cups1/2 inch cubes
- 2-3 (6½oz.) cans chopped clams
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- ¾ cup butter, melted.
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- pepper to taste
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups milk
- Put the onion, potatoes and celery in a large pot. Drain the juice from the clams over the vegetables. (If you want more clam flavor, use three cans otherwise use two cans.)
- Add enough water to just cover the vegetables, about 2 or 2½ cups. Simmer until the vegetables are tender. Set aside, do not drain.
- In another pan, melt the butter and add the flour stirring and cooking for about 1 minute. Add the salt, pepper, and sugar. Gradually add the half and half to make a thick smooth paste, then add the milk. Continue to cook and stir until thickened. Pour the cream mixture into the pot with the vegetables. Add the clams and bacon.
- Heat through on low so as to not scorch the bottom.
- Serve with crackers and ENJOY!