My kids seem to think I am a little obsessed with pumpkin dishes lately. I have to admit, I love pretty much anything with pumpkin in it, so yeah, I am a little obsessed right now. This Pumpkin Enchilada Casserole recipe may sound like a strange combo, but let me tell you, this is the most delicious casserole! The combination of flavors in this is so perfect that you don’t even realize that pumpkin is one of the main ingredients! This is definitely one of our autumn favorites! We like to top this Pumpkin Enchilada Casserole off with a little sour cream (because sour cream makes almost anything better 😉
My daughter tried this for the first time this week and couldn’t get enough of it. She had been skeptical about eating something with pumpkin flavor and enchilada mixed together. She thought it sounded strange, but after trying one bite she was hooked. She agrees, as does the rest of my family, that this Pumpkin Enchilada Casserole recipe is a winner! I’m pretty sure we will be making this again soon!
Pumpkin Enchilada Casserole
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: Casserole
- 9 corn tortillas
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed into small pieces
- 1 can chopped green chilis
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 jalepeno (I used about 1 Tbsp. diced jalepenos) optional
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a blender, puree the pumpkin, chicken broth, chili powder, minced garlic, cumin, jalepeno, salt and pepper.
- In a seperate bowl, mix together the chicken, diced chilis, green onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Spray your casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Place 1 cup sauce in the bottom of a 9x9 casserole dish. Layer the corn tortillas by cutting 6 of them in half. Lay 4 halves, with the straight edge facing the edge of the dish, on top of the sauce. Lay one whole tortilla in the middle.
- Place half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese on top of the chicken. Repeat with tortillas, rest of the chicken and 1 cup cheese. Put one more layer of tortillas on top then pour the rest of the sauce over the tortillas, and top it off with one more cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes till hot and bubbly.
- Let it cool a few minutes before serving.