Zucchini Bacon Quiche
Author: Sugar n' Spice Gals
Recipe type: main dish
- 2-9" Deep Dish Pie Shells (I used frozen, and let them thaw)
- 2½ cups coarsely grated zucchini
- 1 lb. bacon, cut into small pieces and cooked
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1½ Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 16 oz. grated swiss cheese
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups half and half
- Pepper to taste
- Grate the zucchini and lay out on aluminum foil. Sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze out as much moisture as you can. Measure out the zucchini after squeezing the moisture out.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook until it is cooked but not crisp.
- Drain the bacon on paper towles to remove excess fat. Divide into two equal parts.
- In another pan, melt the butter and add the onion. Saute till the onion is soft. Add the zucchini, flour and pepper and cook for another minute. Set aside.
- Grate the swiss cheese. Divide the cheese in half. (So you have equal amounts for each quiche)
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and add the half and half.
- Make each quiche by doing the following:
- In the bottom of the pie shell, put half of the cheese that has already been divided, then put the bacon on top. Put half of the grated zucchini on top of the bacon. Put another layer of cheese on top of the zucchini. (For garnish you can save a little bacon and a few thin slices of zucchini and lay on top of the cheese) Pour half of the egg mixture over the first quiche, and the rest over the second quiche. Make sure it doesn't over flow.
- Cook in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350 degrees and cook for another 35-40 minutes.
- Let the quiche's stand for about 20 minutes before cutting.
- So DELICIOUS!!