Oh My!!! I don’t even know how to begin describing how amazing this Ooey Gooey Volcano cake is. It is literally oozing and goozing with flavor and can also boast perfect texture and consistency. I like my volcano cakes moist and this recipe definitely is up to my standards.
I got this volcano cake recipe out of a cook book that was compiled by a group of ladies from my church. I thought it looked tasty so decided to give it a try. I’m not exactly sure why this is called Volcano Cake. The only explanation I could come up with is that it’s called Volcano cake because it is erupting with flavor and deliciousness….I know, cheesy, right? It’s true though. It might be better off being called Ooey Gooey Chocolate Cake but either way it’s still amazing.
Volcano Cake Exploding with Flavor!
After I made this ooey gooey chocolate cake I was looking over the recipe in my church cook book and noticed that there was a note under the recipe stating that this volcano cake recipe was adapted from Paula Dean’s recipe that she apparently serves at her restaurant. Don’t know how true that is…but it would sure make sense because this is definitely a Paula Dean caliber cake recipe.
My mom and dad also couldn’t stop raving about this chocolate cake….nor could they stop eating it. I think my mom might have single-handedly eaten half the the chocolate volcano cake by herself. Though she would probably deny it. 🙂 I’ll have to show this recipe to her so she can learn how to make a volcano cake on her own!
For another tasty chocolate dessert recipe, try our Chocolate Lasagna!
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (pecans are our favorite)
- 1 pkg. German Chocolate cake mix, plus ingredients to make the cake.
- 10 small Almond Joy candy bars, chopped or 5 regular size
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 8 oz pack of Regular Cream Cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the nuts and coconut together and sprinkle evenly in the pan.
- In a bowl, prepare the cake mix according to the package directions.
- Add ¾ cup sour cream to the mix and blend well.
- Stir in the chopped candy bars and pour the batter over the layer of coconut and nuts.
- Mix together the cream cheese, butter and powdered sugar.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture randomly on the batter. (Do not spread)
- Bake the cake for 40-50 minutes or until sides of the cake start to pull away from the pan.
- This can be served warm or you can let it cool.