Every Thanksgiving, I have to serve a cranberry jello salad of some kind. I don’t usually like to just eat cranberry sauce, but if I put it in a jello then I absolutely love it. I usually make this jello a couple of times a year, usually around the holidays.
When I was little my mom used to make jello all the time. My mother passed away in 1981 from Lou Gehrig’s disease, but yet I still remember the few last times she was actually able to make dinner. She had made a big jello salad and was trying to move it into the refrigerator so it could set, and her legs gave out and she fell sending the jello everywhere in the kitchen. This was about the first that I really realized how the disease was starting to take over her body. That was really frustrating for my mom and she was so sad. It was hard to see her go through this. So to this day, whenever I make jello, I always think of my mom and that day. It’s weird what triggers memories in your mind.
I absolutely love this Cherry Cranberry Jello Salad recipe. It is the perfect compliment to your holiday dinners. I know my mom would have loved it!
- 1 large pkg. (6 oz.) Cherry Jello
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 large (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple (don't drain)
- 1 (14 oz.) can whole cranberry sauce
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup finely chopped walnuts
- (optional: 1 cup chopped apple or celery) adds crunch
- In a bowl, dissolve the jello in 1 cup of boiling water, by stirring for approximately 2 minutes
- Add ½ cup cold water, crushed pineapple (don't drain) and cranberry sauce.
- Mix well until all is blended together.
- (Optional: add celery or apples if desired)
- Pour into a casserole dish. (You can lightly spray it with veg. spray to help serve easier)
- Put in refrigerator and let set. (4-5 hours)
- In a bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream with the powdered sugar until stiff.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add the whipped cream to the cream cheese and beat until smooth and blended well.
- Spread over the top of the set jello.
- Sprinkle walnuts over the top.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.